Contributors

Monday, February 13, 2012

I Believe

My friend, Seth Fisher, recently passed this creed onto me.

He found it in the Celtic Daily Prayer and I found it encouraging.



“I still believe in the power of the priesthood, where

sinful men are helped by sinful men. I believe in an

authority that stoops to wash a poor man’s feet. I

Believe in a banquet where sinners learn to love,

eating in company with their God. I believe in parents

who teach their children the beauty that is life.


I believe in the words that God has left for man, words

that can fashion hope from darkness and turn bitter

loneliness into love. And I believe in the beauty

of his mind, the force of his emotions, the fire and loyalty of his

love. I know his weakness, his cowardice, his treachery, his hate. But

I believe in him and his thirst for acceptance and love.


Most of all I believe in God and the power of His victory in Christ. I believe

In a Resurrection that rescued man from death. I believe in an Easter that opened man

To hope. I believe in a peace that I know in fleeting moments and seek with boldness born

Of God. I believe in a life that lingers after this, and a life that God has fashioned for His friends.


I believe in understanding, in forgivenss, in mercy, in faith. I believe in man’s love for woman,

and hers for him, and in the fervor of this exchange I hear the voice of God. I believe in friendship and its power to turn selfishness to love. I believe in eternity and the hope that it affords.

Fr. James Kavanagh

No comments: