Contributors

Wednesday, July 07, 2010

What Are You Relying On?

Are you placing your dependency these days on the tangible things in front of you or are you trusting the Spirit of God inside of you? We speak of faith, we speak of the "gifts" of the Spirit that are used by the Spirit in our lives. But, if you are like me there's a temptation to place more security in my props than in God. Props are any tangible thing that I have come to depend upon other than the Lord. My plans. My personality. My personal power or persona. All these things have their place...but when I begin to trust in these props more than God, I've got a big problem. Truthfully, I’ve seen God’s hand in my life more powerfully displayed when the props are removed and the stage is cleared. In those moments I’m forced to see what is unseen and trust in God in a more real way. Jesus commanded his disciples to go out and “take nothing for the journey” (Mark 6.8). No programs or agendas. No porta-pews or papyrus tracts. His reason? Props get in the way of sincere devout faith. Much which we assume to be helpful in the spiritual life can be detrimental.

Here's a link to a great blog post that epitomizes removing the props we have come to depend upon and beginning to see that which is unseen. Enjoy the clip. . .and the post.

http://john8.com/christian-living/a-portrait-of-faith-in-jesus/

3 comments:

Brad said...

Thanks for the kind words and link, Heath.

Brad

Heath said...

Thanks for your insight and creative thoughts...I'm gonna use this clip as an intro. next time I speak on the gifts of the Spirit :).

Brad said...

It's an honor, and thank you, but I have to admit that any good thing I may write or say is borrowed from our Dad.

Brad