Contributors

Tuesday, June 08, 2010

The Irresistable voice of praise


One thing that I'm learning is that praise is a spontaneous eruption that emits from a heart that is full of the fullness of God. True praise is not the stuff of forced smiles and plastered grins. I've met those who strive for praise and practice the discipline of praise. And, there is a time and place for that. But, if we want to get a proper understanding of what true praise looks like, we must look to someone firmly rooted in the reality of God's goodness.


When I think of praise, I think of a roller coaster ride. Often amusement parks set aside a hidden camera on that one specific spot on the track where, after having been twisted, jolted and dropped three stories, a mug shot is taken of each rider. Usually, these mug shots can be viewed on camera, and purchased if desired, after the ride is over. I enjoy seeing what the camera captured. Typically, in every photo the expression is similar. A strange brew of "I'm gonnnnna die" mixed with "Bring it oooon". Death and delight...what an exhilarating concoction!


Now, usually when we pose for a camera we are in control and can monitor our facial expressions. We dictate the image we desire to give the world. What's so fun about these roller coaster pictures is there is an inability to control any of ones facial faculties. The force of the experience is so great, your face just erupts in delight and terror all at once. One time after riding the same roller coaster ten times, and getting ten similar facial expressions, I decided to ride one more time to purposely attempt to keep a stoic, face...an expressionless face of boredom amidst the crazy ten-story drop where my insides felt like silly puddy. And, Guess what? I couldn't do it.
The sheer power and thrill going on inside my stomach took over and controlled my outward expressions. Despite all my efforts to override it, my inner delight with this ride simply erupted in an outer manifestation of sheer delight. I was powerless to conceal my pearly whites. All smile. All delight.


Some things in life are simply too powerful to contain or conceal. Inner realities always have a way of manifesting themselves outwardly. I think true praise is this way. Real praise to God is never forced or concocted. Rather, praise in an outward expression, an outward eruption if you will, of an inner world who finds delight and fullness in God.


C.S. Lewis speaks to the irresistible nature of praise. He writes:

I had never noticed that all enjoyment spontaneously overflows into praise. .The world rings with praise – lovers praising their mistresses [Romeo praising Juliet and vice versa], readers their favourite poet, walkers praising the countryside, players praising their favourite game – praise of weather, wines, dishes, actors, motors, horses, colleges, countries, historical personages, children, flowers, mountains, rare stamps, rare beetles, even sometimes politicians or scholars. . . . Except where intolerably adverse circumstances interfere,praise almost seems to be inner health made audible. . . . I had not noticed either that just as men spontaneously praise whatever they value, so they spontaneously urge us to join them in praising it: 'Isn't she lovely? Wasn't it glorious? Don't you think that magnificent?' The Psalmists in telling everyone to praise God are doing what all men do when they speak of what they care about.


Hmmm...Praise. Inner health made audible. Boy, that rings true to me. We do this everyday. We are content with and brag about the size of that fish we caught. We speak to ourselves as the sun beams upon our face in saying "what a lovely day." We look into the eyes of our spouse after a pleasant evening and whisper, "I love you" or "thank you". When the human heart is full it is like a shooting geyser. It erupts in praise spontaneously and powerfully. And, praise drenches, soaks and fills all within its reach. And, the world is a better place as a result.


So, the questions I've been asking myself are obvious ones:


  • First, is praise an irresistible eruption that constantly gushes forth in my life? If not, what is the status of my inner world?

  • Second, am I having to try real hard to praise God? is it forced today? If so, what does that reflect about the "track" (thinking of the roller coaster metaphor) I'm on with God right now?

  • Lastly, if praise is "inner health made audible" then what IS audible in my life to those listening to my voice? Is my life is more audibly characterized by groans, aches, frowns, frustration, negativity or sarcasm then by praise?

Today I pray that praise would be the most audible voice of my life. That though my life might have different voices at different times, I would be remembered by those who loved me as one whose voice praised God in the good, bad and ordinary days of life.

1 comment: