Contributors

Monday, April 26, 2010

Lost: A Tale of Two Sons


About a year ago I picked up Tim Keller's book entitled "Prodigal God" and haven't been able to put it down. I'm three weeks into a four week sermon entitled "Lost" which is a series highlighting the two kinds of lost-ness that we see in the elder and younger brother in the parable of the Prodigal Son. And, I'm highly thankful for Keller's contributions and exegesis of this text. Keller pulled some of his material together with the help of middle-eastern and Biblical scholar Ken Bailey. Bailey's book "The Cross and the Prodigal" is both powerful and enlightening.

Some people suggest that Biblical scholarship is the stuff of ivory towers and college auditoriums. But, I continually find that good Biblical scholarship helps me to unpack in a deeper and more real sense who Jesus is. So, I'm thankful for the ways these two texts combined with dozens of readings of the parable itself have opened my eyes up to Jesus' radical message within this parable that challenges me daily.

Check out either of these two books. Both are well worth the read.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

If anyone would like to borrow my copy, I'd be happy to pass it around.

Heath said...

Thanks Naomi. I'd recommend anyone reading this book. Also, Naomi, if you listen to any podcasts, Tim Keller's sermons are great. I'd highly recommend him to anyone.